CALIFORNIA CHALLENGE PROCESS
Maternidad La Luz’s California Challenge was approved by the Medical Board of the State of California in 2004. Maternidad La Luz offers this challenge process to midwives in pursuit of midwifery licensure in California via credit by examination for previous midwifery education and clinical experience. This alternative option to the Three-Year Program is available to students who have graduated from the MLL One-Year or 18-Month Program and to CPMs enrolled in the MLL Prior Learning and Experience Program (PLEP).
California Challenge Requirements for MLL Graduates and CPMs
- Diploma from the Maternidad La Luz One-Year Program OR a CPM enrolled in the MLL Prior Learning and Experience Program
- The following clinical experience, with at least 50% obtained within five years of applying to the Medical Board of California:
- 20 initial/new antepartum visits
- 75 return antepartum visits
- 20 labor management experiences
- 20 deliveries (primary attendant)
- 20 newborn assessments
- 40 postpartum visits, within the first 5 days after birth
- 40 postpartum/family planning/gynecology visits
- Be able to document the above clinical experience and have it verified by either a licensed or certified midwife or certified nurse-midwife and a physician.
- Have IV certification current at the time of the exam
- Be certified in Neonatal Resuscitation (NNR), current at the time of the exam
- Be certified in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), current at the time of the exam
Students planning to sit the California Challenge examinations will receive the California Challenge Handbook that contains the following:
- Detailed information on the Challenge Process for the applicant
- Policies and procedures for the Challenge Process
- A study guide that the includes the curricula, syllabi, objectives, and a list of required readings for the 5th through the 9th quarters of the Maternidad La Luz 3-year program
- MANA Core Competencies
- NARM Comprehensive Skills, Knowledge, And Abilities Essential For Competent Midwifery Practice
- Sample written test questions
- Sample clinical skills exam form
- An application
- Information packet for the clinical experience verifier
- Documentation of clinical experience forms
California Challenge Process for MLL Graduates
This alternative option to the MLL Three-Year Program is available to students who have graduated from the MLL One-Year or 18-Month Program. The student will challenge the Three-Year Program through written and clinical examinations and documentation of clinical experiences.
California Challenge via Prior Learning & Experience Program (PLEP)
This program was designed to evaluate and give credit for prior midwifery education and experience to NARM Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs).
Possession of a CPM credential in good standing and a thorough audit of documentation of experience, letters of reference, and application will be considered the equivalent to completion of the Maternidad La Luz One-Year Program. Enrollment in the PLEP makes CPMs eligible to complete the MLL California Challenge.
Interested CPMs should complete the PLEP application and send it in with the application fee. The following will be audited:
- Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) Credential
- Midwifery license if applicant holds any state licensure
- Official transcripts of midwifery education
- All midwifery schools the applicant attended
- All midwives under whom the applicant apprenticed
- All references
Upon successful completion of an audit, they will be accepted to PLEP. Upon enrollment, they must pay the enrollment fee in order to begin the California Challenge Process.