The following are prerequisites for students wishing to attend Maternidad La Luz for three months (one quarter) or longer. Proof that the applicant meets the prerequisites must be sent with the application.
- Documentation of age 18 years or older.
- Have a thorough understanding and use of the English language.
- Documentation of a minimum of high school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish. Approximately 95% of the clients at Maternidad La Luz are primarily Spanish speaking; so communication with most clients during prenatals, births and postpartum is done in Spanish. A student’s ability to converse well in Spanish affects the student’s and client’s experience at Maternidad La Luz.
- Current American Heart Association Adult and Infant CPR card that must remain current while at MLL.
- Have a reliable car, a valid driver’s license and car insurance.
Maternidad La Luz strongly recommends that the applicant do the following:
- Be able to evaluate individual circumstances and the appropriateness of attending Maternidad La Luz at this time of life. Balancing home and family responsibilities, childcare, finances and personal relationships while at Maternidad La Luz can be very challenging, and it is important that applicants be aware of the demands that clinic work will place on daily life.
- If coming to Maternidad La Luz with children, be able to provide adequate childcare for children twenty-four hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Know your Hepatitis B status and receive the series of vaccines for the prevention of Hepatitis B. Students who choose not to be vaccinated will be required to sign a waiver.
- Know your HIV, TB, rubella, and syphilis status.
- Arrange for personal health insurance coverage.
- Strive to improve your understanding and use of the Spanish language. If you wish to improve or brush up your skills, you may consider coming to El Paso early to immerse yourself in the bicultural setting and/or to study Spanish. There are several Spanish language schools in El Paso:
- Language Plus, (915) 544-8600, www.languageplus.com
- Bilingual Now, (915) 577-0440
- La Paz Language Academy, (915) 584-5100
- Karen Powell, (323) 240-0202 or (915) 587-4486
- There is also a school in Guatemala called Proyecto Linguistico Quetzaltenango (“PLQ”) where several MLL students have gone for immersion
- Be able to present a professional appearance whenever coming to the school or the clinic.
- Midwifery is a profession that requires certain physical, emotional, and mental abilities. At MLL, we try to accommodate the specific needs of all students with limited disabilities to the best of our ability. We attempt to work out a reasonable individual plan with any student who has a disability that does not impede their ability to safely practice midwifery.